ROAD TRIP SNACKS
- The healthy alternative -
I feel like small trips are great as you get the chance to relax and experience new places without taking too much time out of your busy schedule. And having that special time off doesn't always mean travelling far as there are so many beautiful places just around the corner. Getting out of town and driving for a little bit is important though, as you'd need a change of scenery to fully relax and get into that vacation spirit. So Sebastian and I went on a little road trip last week. As he and I try to eat as healthy as possible without missing out on anything, we decided not to make those fast food pit stops along the highway but pack a healthy snack package for those cravings on the road. This is what we took along:
- mini salami sticks (I just love these)
- apple crisps (so delicious!)
- boiled eggs (to get that extra bit of protein in)
- wraps (can't go wrong with homemade wraps)
- homemade Energy Bars
- homemade Raw Cacao Chia Balls
- homemade Protein Brownie Bites
Here, you'll find the recipes for the three latter healthy road trip snacks. Enjoy!
I quite like these as they have so many different flavors. They are nutty but also fruity and also have that coconut flavor. One serving made for so many of these that we couldn't finish them on our trip. I still have a few to snack on in the afternoon, whenever I feel like needing a tiny bit more energy to get me going through the day. So here goes the recipe:
- roast nuts in oven for approximately 15 min
- melt coconut oil
- mix all ingredients with a food processor thoroughly
- put the mixture into a slip lock bag and flatten in out / alternatively flatten the mixture onto a baking tray covered with baking sheet
- refrigerate over night
- take it out and cut into little bars
And done is your little, healthy road trip snack. Yummy!
- 400 g nut mix of your choice
- 400 g dates
- 200 g apricots
- 50 g coconut chips
- 30 g chia seeds
- 35 g coconut oil
- 5 oz Dates
- 3 oz Chia Seeds
- 2 oz Raw Almonds
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
RAW CACAO CHIA BALLS
- Add nuts into a food processor and pulse until they are coarsely chopped.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the processor and mix on low speed for about 2 minutes to get dough-like mixture. If needed, add a little water, a teaspoon at a time to get a dough like consistency.
- Roll the dough into small balls.
- You can re-roll these in cacao powder if you like.
- Store in the fridge.
And you are done already! Now, wasn't that easy? Literally took me 10 Minutes to make and another half an hour to refrigerate. Out of the three recipes I'm showing you today, these are my absolute favorite! That's probably why they were gone so fast as well. They are quite heavy though and make you feel fully energized throughout the day.
PROTEIN BROWNIE BITES
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C) and line a muffin tin (15 mini muffins or 5 regular muffins)
- Combine all ingredients and blend.
- Pour the brownie mixture into each muffin tin.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out just clean.
- Refrigerate until serving.
These, I didn't like as much as the other homemade snacks as I am very picky when it comes to protein powder. I'd say I can always taste if it's an ingredient I really don't like the taste, but for those of you that don't mind or even like the taste of it, then this is the recipe for you! As Sebastian is a fitness pro he of course loved these! He had a really hard time not finishing them before even going on the trip. But they were well gone before we got to our destination.
I hope you enjoyed these recipes for three delicious road trip snacks. As always, let me know in the comments down below which you are most exited to try out yourself.
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup smooth almond butter
(or peanut butter/ cashew butter etc.)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 scoops of protein powder